Coconut oil is oft touted as being a supremely healthy superfood. In fact, this sumptuous saturated fat is reported to be beneficial for heart, thyroid, metabolic and immune system health whist also actually assisting with weight management[i]. Moreover, because coconut oil is rich in caprylic acid, it is a powerful natural fungicide, read to knock off both external fungi like athlete’s foot and internal, like the dreaded candida[ii]. What’s more, unlike olive oil which smokes at a low temperature (and will ruin your expensive non-stick pans!) coconut oil doesn’t break down at high heats, making it a perfect oil to cook with. Aaaand, because it’s a solid at room temperature, it’s a great dairy-free/vegan substitute for butter in baked goods. Is there nothing it cannot do?!
Personally, I like to fry and bake with coconut oil but I still didn’t feel I was getting enough in my diet. Then it occurred to me that chocolate is primarily made of dairy fat and sugar, so what would happen if we replaced those things with coconut oil and say, some honey? I’ll tell you just what happened- deliciousness! Medicine has never tasted better.
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup coconut oil (solid)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 Tbs shredded coconut
- Grease a fudge pan with a little coconut oil and line with baking paper.
- Place coconut oil, cocoa and honey in a blender or food processor and pulse until just combined, taking care not to over-process or the mix will separate.
- Pour mixture into a fudge pan and sprinkle with shaved coconut.
- Place pan in refrigerator for at least an hour or until set solid.
- Removed fudge from pan and slice into small pieces with a hot, sharp knife.
- Store any uneaten fudge (if there is any!) in the refrigerator to avoid melting.
[i] Dr Jospeh Mercola, 02/14/2011, “Coconut Oil Benefits: When Fat Is Good For You”, The Huffington Post, online, URL: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/coconut-oil-benefits_b_821453.html.
[ii] Marek Doyle, 02/09/2012, “Medicinal Uses For Coconut Oil”, LiveStrong.com, online, URL: http://www.livestrong.com/article/213558-medicinal-uses-for-coconut-oil/?utm_source=undefined_R1.